Tuesday, April 5, 2011

bread pudding

This week I snuck in some time for one of my favorite hobbies: baking. We had some wheat rolls that were on the stale side so it seemed the perfect intersection of pleasure and necessity to make some bread pudding. Bread pudding is one of my favorite desserts quite possibly because the ingredients are suspiciously similar to those for french toast.


Another reason to love bread pudding is that it's also quite easy to make. This recipe comes from the New Pillsbury Family Cookbook. Well, it was new in 1973 when it was first copyrighted. It's a copy of the same cookbook that I watched my mom cook out of for years when I was growing up so it's full of nostalgia as well as good recipes.


BREAD PUDDING
2 slices (2 cups) soft or dry bread cubes
1/2 cup raisins
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups milk


(For accuracy, let it be known that I rarely follow recipes exactly. I put in extra bread cubes and doubled the vanilla)

First preheat the oven to 350°F. Then cut the bread into cubes.


Next, place the bread cubes in a lightly greased 1 qt. casserole dish. Sprinkle the raisins over the top. Combine eggs, sugar, salt, cinnamon, vanilla and milk; beat well. Pour this mixture evenly over the bread cubes.
Set casserole dish in a baking pan with about 1 inch of hot water. Bake 55 to 65 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
Makes 4 to 5 servings.
 This has to be one of the tastiest ways to recycle! 

No comments:

Post a Comment